Monday, October 28, 2013

Beauty


Shirt/ Eat End Vintage, Shorts/ Bleached Vintage, Socks/ Target, Shoes/ Jeffrey Campbell.

$up,
Lately I have been thinking a lot about beauty. I had a conversation on friday with two other girls and I asked them what they thought was beautiful and what kind of people they were attracted to. One girl told me she thinks beauty is ugly. She is attracted to people that have crooked teeth, who are overweight who have moles, people that are not perfect. She really stressed that she hated "perfect" people. Not in a jealous type of way, she just didn't think that perfection or what society displays as "perfect" was beautiful. In my words what she is saying is perfection is imperfection. The other girl told me that she liked tall awkward people with big noses. Personally I am attracted to people that are individuals and that are unique. Creativity is what I love to see in others. I love people that are unconventionally pretty and tall and lanky.

I think we all agreed that the personality is everything. To be honest though, there is always that first impression. As people we recognize beauty and most of the time that is what gets us interested. Thats not us being shallow, mind you, thats just stating a fact. Once you start talking to the other person it really is all up to the personality. I have talked to people that I thought were the most beautiful people on earth and then I realized that their personality was garbage and it actually changed their appearance in my eyes.

I don't really understand the difference between the people that we all talked about that night and the people that society deems as "perfect". What makes them all seem so "perfect" is they have confidence. All people have flaws and celebrities and models are no different. Those flaws are what make them stand out and they choose to own them rather then to wallow in self pity. It is because they are in the public eye that makes others feel inferior or not beautiful enough. We need to just realize that they are people, just like us. They are perfectly imperfect, just like us.

A lot of what we think is beautiful is a reflection on what we see in ourselves that we like and the rest is what we see in our surroundings. Ultimately beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I am really interested to hear what you, my readers think is beautiful. (Please comment bellow and let me know what you think is beautiful)

<3<3

Music- Brothertiger, A House of Many Ghosts

5 comments:

  1. Those are nice!

    I'm a guy and I tend to agree with a lot of your friends, and you. To me the most important thing in a woman is a combination of intelligence and character. I like women that have been through stuff. I mean that has its limits, I'm assuming the woman is _reasonably_ in decent shape, doesn't have to be a gym rat or anything, just close to h/wt proportionate. All things being equal tho a few extra pounds is preferable to anorexia.

    If a woman seems empty or shallow, no matter what she looks like, I'm not interested, not even sexually. I need to feel some kind of connection, and that connection has to come from within.

    I do enjoy women with a sense of fashion (else why would I be here, duh) but too much in the way of cosmetics and perfume and hair and stuff is a bit of a turn-off.

    I also have preferences, I like darker/dark-haired/dark eyed women, women of mixed up ethnicity (I am married to a Latina), when a woman is older I like if she doesn't dye her hair, that exudes a certain independence to me.

    I like women that are real, I know a lot of times when I see a photo of beauty contest winners I'm like, are you kidding, I see better looking women on the streets of NYC every minute. Intelligence and character.

    This is of course just one man's opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your posts and its artful intelligence! I always feel that there is beauty in the darkness and in the unexpected. Sometimes you have to look for it. I think real beauty is often in the details-- to me complexity, vulnerability and depth is beautiful; there has to be something behind a facade to draw me in whether it be in nature, other people... sure we see beauty in general as something defined by media, and as human beings we are predisposed to seek out 'symmetry' in a mate in order to ensure the success of healthy genes. I agree with you too, that there is beauty in imperfection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, I typed a long comment, then it got erased! So frustrated.

    Mostly what I said was that a person is most beautiful when they do not hide themselves. But that does not mean au naturale, no makeup sweatpants kind of deal. Like a woman can be in full evening attire, but if it truly reflects who she is, then it is beautiful. For example, when I try a fashion trend just because it is a trend and I have no real connections with it, I always feel sort of unsure of myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I personally think confidence is beautiful. I really loved reading this post. The pictures are gorgeous and that green color looks really good on you

    ReplyDelete
  5. The color combo's in your outfit are adorable! Beauty comes from within--if you think are you, no one can possibly convince you otherwise...

    Aloha from Hawaii,
    <3 Jenn from Cao Bella

    ReplyDelete